This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeFallFavorites #CollectiveBias.
I think that fall is everyone's favorite season...at least everyone on my Instagram feed. There's just something about it. The colors, the crispness and the flavors. Mmmm...the flavors. Butternut squash. Sweet potatoes. Pumpkin spice.
And I do love pumpkin spice, but at the risk of you not reading the rest of this post, can I tell you a secret? My favorite fall flavor isn't pumpkin spice. It's caramel apple. The tartness of the apples mixed with the sweet saltiness of the caramel. Yum!
So imagine my excitement when I found out that Target was selling Limited Edition Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Caramel Apple Flavored Premium Cake Mix! Easy to make and delicious on its own, but I decided to kick things up a notch and really get my caramel apple fix.
You all know about my love and passion for local produce, and one of my favorite things to do when the farmers market season is over is to visit our local produce stands to find pumpkins and my favorite fall produce.
On our way home from Target, we stopped and ogled all of the beautiful varieties of pumpkins and picked up some locally grown McIntosh apples. I love that the Pillsbury™ Limited Edition Fall Flavor Baking Mixes inspired me to make this Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake so we could stop and enjoy all of the colors and produce at this stand!
And of course, little L likes to join me whenever I bake. She helped place the apples and add the eggs and oil to the cake mix. Sometimes the control-freak in me cringes at the messes she can make while she's helping me, but I know that these are memories that she and I will both cherish as she grows up.
This Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake turned out better than I even anticipated. It is so moist and just the right amount of sweet. Pair it with some homemade whipped cream or some vanilla ice cream and you will have a dessert that the whole family will love!
The Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Caramel Apple Flavored Premium Cake Mix is only available for a limited time (9/4 - 11/5) so hurry in to Target to get some today and try this AMAZING Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake recipe. Plus, enjoy the special savings below on Pillsbury™ Baking Mixes or Frostings with Target Cartwheel.
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP salted butter
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 2 large apples
- Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Caramel Apple Flavored Premium Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- Combine the sugar, water and corn syrup in a medium saucepan, stirring with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the saucepan and let the mixture cook for 3 minutes
- After the 3 minutes, remove the lid and turn the heat up to medium-high until the mixture starts to boil.
- DO NOT STIR the mixture anymore. Swirl the mixture in the pan to prevent it from burning.
- Once the mixture turns amber in color, remove it from the heat and let it sit for about 30 seconds.
- Carefully add the heavy cream to the sugar mixture. The mixture will bubble significantly so and is VERY hot so be extremely careful with this step.
- Add the butter, lemon juice, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Set the caramel sauce aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Slice the apples thinly, no larger than 1/4-inch thick.
- Layer the apples evenly in a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Follow the directions to make the Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Caramel Apple Flavored Premium Cake Mix
- By now the salted caramel sauce should be cool. Measure out 1/2 cup of the caramel and drizzle evenly over the apple slices. Save the rest as a topping for ice cream or for more Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake! It keeps well in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- Add the cake batter on top of the apples and caramel.
- Bake for 40 minutes then lower the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes and then run a knife around the outside edge of the pan to loosen the cake.
- Place a plate on top of the cake and carefully turn the cake over. Open the springform pan and remove the ring and the bottom of the pan.
- Serve warm.